By Dammit, We're Marines!
- 2009 Silver Medal Award, Military Writers Society of America
- 2009 Second Place Non-Fiction, Branson Stars & Flags
- View the new Iwo Jima presentation available in the Photos & Media section
- Listen to the History Czar Podcast on By Dammit, We're Marines from June 4, 2010 [listen]
- Listen to a radio interview with Author Gail Chatfield: Veterans Radio, June 20, 2009 [download]
What people are saying
The veterans Gail Chatfield interviewed spoke for themselves in their own words in this wonderful, compelling and personal history of war. I loved the book. I learned about the “Iwo Jima experience” in a way I could never have imagined before reading it. [read more]
- Michael D. "Moon" Mullins, MWSA Reviewer (August 2009)
By Dammit, We’re Marines! is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand what it means to be a Marine in combat. This book will make you laugh and cry and swell your heart with pride for those Marines who made the ultimate sacrifice in the most unforgettable battles that are now a part of the great history of the world’s finest fighting force…The United States Marines!. [read more]
- First Sergeant Patrick M. Tracy, USMC, Author of "Street Fight in Iraq"
What is it that makes Marines different? Marines know what it is but can’t quite explain it. To them it is very real and precious—perhaps the defining force in their lives.
“By Dammit, We’re Marines!” comes as close as any book or study I have read in ‘catching’ what it is that makes that difference. [read more]
- Major General Wilbur F. Simlik, USMC Ret.